Note: Item classification functionality is only applicable for new items. Existing items cannot be incorporated into Item classification.
The creation/generation of the item and its associating information (depending on what was defined during the Set-up process) is a simple procedure. To be able to access the panel from where everything takes place the following two stipulations must be met:
- The View control for Item classification must be turned on.
- The Item template you are using must fulfil the following conditions:
(Note: Checks will always be applied/performed before an item is to be created within item classification in order to detect any conflicts that would arise due to the users item template. If any are found, item creation will not be possible and applicable message(s) will be issued to inform the user of the cause of the conflict.)
- It must include the Basic data panel
- It should not include any default values for the item-related fields that define the item classification grouping structure.
- It should not include a default value for Item code if a corresponding layout definition for layout 05 exists in the applicable classification definition of the grouping structure to which the item will belong.
- It should not include a default value for Item description if a corresponding layout definition for layout 01 exists in the applicable classification definition of the grouping structure to which the item will belong.
- It should not include a default value for Internal item description if a corresponding layout definition for layout 03 exists in the applicable classification definition of the grouping structure to which the item will belong.
- It should not include a default Unit if one or more units are defined in the applicable classification definition of the grouping structure to which the item will belong.
When you click Add to add the item, you access the Apply item classification definition panel where you make your grouping structure selections. The characteristics for the grouping structure (and Item outlook that is connected to your User profile) will be displayed. You can either manually enter values or retrieve default values (depending on the set up of the characteristics). When you click Apply, the item classification definition will be applied on the item together with all automatically generated data. You will be taken to the Item file maintenance, Basic data panel. From that stage, the item creation continues as standard where default values are loaded with the aid of Item templates. You can continue the process of completing other necessary item data or click Update and Return and continue generating more items.
Automatically generated data
The following can be automatically generated:
- Item code
- Item description
- Extended item description
- Internal item description
(This is the Internal name on the Basic data panel in the Item file and is a short version of the item description for internal use).
- Item foreign description
(This is the translated item description, included in any document sent to the customer where the item is included).
- Unit information
(This unit data is retrieved from the Work with item classification definition, Units file. If any formulas have been defined to calculate numeric unit information (conversion factor, volume and area related data), these formulas will be calculated and the applicable fields will be updated in the Item/Units panel for the created item. See Unit formulas in Item Classification for more information.)
- Miscellaneous item data retrieved from:
- Table data defined for your grouping structure (Main group, Group, Profile 1 and Profile 2).
- Item field override data. You have the possibility to override/load specific fields on the Basic data panel that may or may not have already been defined with a default value in the attached Item template. This item field override functionality can be interpreted as a fast template and is ideal for those fields where value (data) deviation is more common. Instead of defining several Item templates with different default values for those fields, or manually defining the value for the field once the item is created, the applicable Basic data field can be defined as a characteristic. The field data will be applicable/loaded for all items created under the grouping structure. See Item field override functionality for generated items via Item Classification for more information.
Note: The Item code and descriptions are retrieved from the layout definitions defined in the Work with item classification definition file. See Layout definitions in Item Classification for more information.
Rebuilding item descriptions
The Rebuilding item descriptions routine allows you to keep your item descriptions up-to-date. See Rebuilding item descriptions for more information. If IBS Alert Management is installed and activated (recommended if using item classification and accurate item descriptions are desired), you can configure an alert to be triggered, thereby informing the user when a certain layout(s) for certain items or whole grouping structures needs to be rebuilt. See Configure the system to send/receive alert messages) for instructions.
- Default values for characteristics in Item Classification
- Item Classification grouping structure
- Item field override functionality for generated items via Item Classification
- Layout definitions in Item Classification
- Setting up Item Classification
- Unit formulas in Item Classification
- About IBS Alert Management messages
- Item search alternatives in IBS Enterprise